Wednesday, December 21, 2005

 

Sorry!

I'm saddened that the Howard government is not prepared to say 'sorry' on behalf of the government to the aboriginal people of Australia for the wrongs committed in the past. The years of sanctioned separation of indigenous families (the 'stolen generations') is an appalling blight on Australian history.

Mr Howard said: "I'm very sorry as an individual for what has happened in the past. I don't think Aboriginal people in this country were given a fair go in the past, I've said that repeatedly. But I don't believe in a formal apology because I don't think the current generation should accept responsibility for past things."

Well, I don't want you to accept responsibility, but I do want you to say that on behalf of the government you are sorry. If this opens the way for compensation claims, so be it. Don't you think it is warranted... enough said!

Related links:
Federal Government still needs to say sorry
Stolen Generation- Wikipedia entry
Why The Prime Minister can't say 'Sorry'

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?